Although we lost many straight allies in the election yesterday, more openly LGBT candidates won election to public office than any other year in America’s history.
Important victories from the 2010 election include:
- David Cicilline elected to Congress to be the fourth openly gay member of the US House of Representatives
- Jim Gray elected mayor of Lexington, Kentucky
- Nickie Antonio elected to the Ohio House (the first openly LGBT person to serve in the state legislature)
- Marcus Brandon elected to the North Carolina House (the first openly gay state legislator)
- Victoria Kolakowski elected Superior Court judge in Alameda County (the first openly transgender judge in America)
- Kevin Lembo elected Connecticut State Comptroller
- Laurie Jinkins elected to the Washington State House (the first openly lesbian state legislator, and may help pass a marriage equality bill next legislative session)
- Maryland and California expanded LGBT state legislative caucuses to include seven openly LGBT lawmakers
You can read more about this record election from Victory Fund.